Chuck Foreman – Teaching / Missions Pastor
Doing the right thing…
If you love the unloved like Jesus did, those who do not understand his love will be against you.
Doing the right thing can come at a price, but probably not as great a price as your Messiah paid to do the right thing for you!
Isaiah, the prophet foresaw the One who would come to do the right thing for us, on our behalf, even if it led to his own unpopularity, suffering and death. If you are looking for the Gospel in the Old Testament, this is it.
GOD’s Story–A Messiah for Us: Suffering Servant, Isaiah 52:13—53:12
Not much of a Xmas Story, Chuck! Oh, but it is! It’s just not the fluffy part of the Xmas Story.
Luke includes this in his version of the Xmas Story. It’s the part that Mary got to take home with her and live with for the rest of her life. Check out Luke 2:25-37.
When we become Followers of the Suffering Servant, we will also become suffering servants.
I just want you all to know what you’ve signed up for. In case you haven’t read the fine print. Check out Philippians 1:29 & 2 Timothy 1:8.
Following Jesus, the Suffering Servant’s example:
- We overcome evil with good. Romans 12:14-21
- We humble ourselves toward each other. Philippians 2:5-11
- We silence ignorant, foolish people by doing good. 1 Peter 2:11-15
- We do not retaliate; we entrust ourselves to God. 1 Peter 2:20b-25
- We repay evil with blessing. 1 Peter 3:9-18a
- We are not ashamed to suffer as Christians; we keep doing good. 1 Peter 4:12-19
Jesus is a Messiah for Us!
He suffered for doing what was right as an example to us.
He suffered for us to bring us to God!